LECSO - OR VEGGIE/RICE/SAUSAGE STIR FRY
A fantastically nutritious and easy summer dish done in a heartbeat.
When the AC is blasting, the temperatures are in the 90-ies and you need a quick fix for a family meal, the Transylvanian Lecso will become your savior.
- 3 onions, 2 white, 1 red – generously sliced (if no red onions, try 2 small shallots)
- 3 long Italian green peppers – round sliced
- 3 red Bell peppers –round sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic – sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, or 10 cherry tomatoes ( the taste is much sweeter) – sliced
- 1 generous cup of white rice (you can substitute with brown rice if desired) –use Uncle Ben’s 5 minute quick cooking rice
- Hungarian or Polish dark smoked sausage or hot dogs J – take the skin off for easier digestion, sliced. If you have kids they will surely appreciate the substitution with some Hot Dogs. (no need to take the skin off)
- ½ cup of chicken stock and ½ cup of water
- Salt, black pepper and paprika to taste
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil
Add the olive oil to a 5-6 quart deep dish. Slice up all your veggies and your sausages. On medium-high flame stirring constantly bring the veggies to a fry, add the sausage, chicken stock, water and rice. Season it with salt/pepper and paprika, cover it and let it cook for 10 minutes. Stir it a few times, add a bit more water if needed, adjust the seasoning if needed. Check the consistency of the rice…and you’re done!
For the more courageous and daring tasters I would suggest 1 deadly hot Jalapeno pepper sliced (seeds in) with the rest of the veggies. If you prefer it milder, just remove the seeds.
You can serve this dish lukewarm, room temperature also.
EGESZSEGEDRE! BON APPETITE
Post a Comment